Our paper Big Data and Its Technical Challenges has surpassed 25,000 downloads from the ACM Digital Library!
H. V. Jagadish, Johannes Gehrke, Alexandros Labrinidis, Yannis Papakonstantinou, Jignesh M. Patel, Raghu Ramakrishnan, and Cyrus Shahabi. 2014. Big data and its technical challenges. Commun. ACM 57, 7 (July 2014), 86–94. https://doi.org/10.1145/2611567
The Advanced Data Management Technologies Laboratory has multiple undergraduate student researcher positions for the Spring 2023 term. We are seeking highly-motivated students interested in doing research as part of a team and are excited to work on projects positively impacting the community. Students will have the option to work on various projects under the supervision of Dr. Alex Labrinidis. Representative projects include a spatial data dashboard integrating multiple databases together and public information display design (like the ones we have for the PittSmartLiving project).
- full web-stack development experience (with python) — ideally have passed CS 1520 and CS 1555
- UI design experience
- DevOps experience
- data science/machine learning background
Types of positions:
- (a) paid internship (tentatively $15/hour),
- (b) cs 1950 credit (directed research capstone),
- (c) cs 1951 credit (directed research), or
- (d) just for fun
To apply, please email the following information to Dr. Alex Labrinidis (email@example.com):
- a paragraph about what you are looking for in a research internship,
- your resume,
- your unofficial Pitt transcript (with Fall 2022 grades)
- what type(s) of position are you interested in (a-d), and
- how many hours per week can you devote to this project
Deadline to apply:
Jan 2, 2023 Jan 4, 2023
Interviews with finalists: Jan 9-13, 2023
Please include “ADMT Lab internship” in the subject of your email message.